Next: Cork City – Waterford/23 Feb, 7:45pm/Turner's Cross

CCFC 0-0 Derry City

Cork City are the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division Champions!

The Leesiders were crowned for the third time in their history after securing the one point needed to secure top spot. City have two games remaining but cannot be caught by former champions Dundalk.

The home side started fast and the first chance came two minutes in as Alan Bennett headed over a corner from the left.

The Leesiders pushed forward and limited Derry to only the occasional forays forward. Conor McDermott’s cross in the seventh minute proved to be catching practice for Mark McNulty and, in the 16th minute, Aaron McEneff’s shot from distance flew well over the crossbar.

City continued to dominate possession but their chances were limited by the Candystripes’ defence. Gearoid Morrissey had a shot from distance in the 27th minute but that too was over the bar.

In the 29th minute Rory Patterson attempted a deft chip from the right edge of the penalty area that McNulty was called to touch over.

The best chance of the half came in the 32nd minute, and it fell to Derry. A corner from the right was flighted perfectly for Harry Monaghan, but his powerful header was narrowly over the bar.

The last chance of the half fell to John Caulfield’s men. In the 38th minute City won a free kick in a dangerous area. The ball was rolled for Garry Buckley, but Gerard Doherty was behind his curling effort all the way.

City started the second half in the same fashion they started the first. Four minutes after the interval Jimmy Keohane found space down the right before skilfully cutting inside, but his shot on his weaker left foot was easily saved by Doherty.

The introduction of Kieran Sadlier in the 63rd minute injected some much needed pace into the game. He had an immediate impact as he went on a dribble down the left before cutting inside and whipping a cross into the box, but the Derry defence cleared their lines.

Chances were few for the last half hour and the home side were happy to keep possession and see the game out.

Referee: Raymond Matthews.

Attendance: 5,857.

Next Match

SSE Airtricity League
Turner's Cross


/ Free WordPress Plugins and WordPress Themes by Silicon Themes. Join us right now!

Recent News

Subscribe to City Edition – Print & Digital
St. Pat’s 2-3 CCFC
Away / Third Shirt – Order now!
Tickets for Waterford game
Team news & coverage for St. Pat’s game

Premier Division Table


Top Scorers (All Comps) 2018

News Archive