Upcoming MatchDundalk – Cork City/29/03/2019/Oriel Park
Upcoming MatchDundalk – Cork City/29/03/2019/Oriel Park

MSC: Waterford Utd 1-3 City

Cork City booked a place in the Munster Senior Cup semi final with a 3-1 win away to Waterford United.

City, in John Caulfield’s first competitive game in charge of the side, started the game very brightly, and Anthony Elding fired a warning shot across the hosts bows on five minutes. Billy Dennehy got on the end of a cross from the right and played the ball into the striker’s path, but he shot across the goal and wide from an acute angle. The reprieve for Waterford was temporary however, as John a brilliant run from left back by John Dunleavy ended with the City captain squared a cross for John Kavanagh, arriving from the right wing, to finish.

Billy Dennehy almost added to City’s lead ten minutes later, as he drew a good save from former City keeper Kevin Burns with a close range effort. The winger did play his part in extending City’s lead just minutes later, as his corner from the left dropped loose in the box, and Elding made no mistake as he finished well to double City’s advantage.  City’s set pieces were proving a thorn in Waterford’s side, and Darren Dennehy came close again for the away side.

Midway through the first half, and the home side had yet to really threaten Mark McNulty’s goal, when Andy O’Connell was booked for a tackle. An excellent effort for the home side thundered against the crossbar, with McNulty recovering to claim the loose ball. That free kick aside, City were comfortable, and just before half time Elding had the ball in the net once again, only for the linesman’s flag to deny him. Waterford almost claimed a goal back after a corner caused problems in the City defence, but the eventual shot was high and wide.

Waterford started the second half brightly, and it took a good challenge from O’Connell to deny Waterford a shot on goal just moments after the break. City made Waterford pay dearly for passing up the two opportunities either side of the half time break, as Elding grabbed his second and City’s third. A long ball forward found the English striker, and he showed power and pace (pictured above) to fend off challenges from the Waterford defence and fire past Burns. With the tie looking beyond them, the home side did rally and forced a succession of corners and free kicks, but they were unable to capitalise. With twenty minutes to go, Waterford had an excellent chance to get back in the game, but with only McNulty to beat, the effort was weak and the keeper made the save. Five minutes later, the home side did get on the scoresheet, as Doherty slotted past McNulty after City had lost possession in midfield. Waterford did push on in search of a second, but City held firm and Brian Lenihan almost claimed a fourth for City at the death, as he struck an excellent effort from distance that went narrowly wide.

Cork City: McNulty, Lenihan, O’Connell, D. Dennehy, Dunleavy (C), Kavanagh (Danny Murphy 60), Buckley (Mulcahy 76), G. Morrissey, Healy, B. Dennehy (Turner 76), Elding.

Bookings: O’Connell (25), B. Dennehy (68), Danny Murphy (90)-o]

Recent News

WNL: Kilkenny 0-3 CCFC
WNL Preview: Kilkenny v CCFC
Munster Senior Cup Final: CCFC 3-1 Midleton
City v Midleton: Match preview
City in gold! Pre-order now!

Next Match

SSE Airtricity League
Oriel Park

Premier Division Table


Top Scorers (All Comps) 2019

News Archive