Next: Bray Wanderers – Cork City/30 Mar, 7:45pm/Carlisle Grounds

Bray 0-2 CCFC

Cork City secured another important three points, as they recorded a 2-0 win away to Bray Wanderers on Sunday afternoon.

City started brightly and it took a good save from Peter Cherrie to deny Kieran Sadlier’s well struck effort inside the opening 60 seconds. At the other end, Shane Griffin showed good awareness to intercept a dangerous Bray cross moments later. Sean Maguire then came even closer, as his header from a Sadlier cross clipped the woodwork.

City though, were not to be denied, and they hit the front inside the quarter hour through Maguire. The striker fired a fine cross-field pass to Sheppard, who teed up Beattie and his cross was met by a superb leap from Maguire who powered home his 20th league goal of the season.

City had been imposing themselves on the game in the lead up to the opener and they took almost complete control of affairs after that. Maguire’s determination almost paid dividends on 17 minutes when he charged down an attempted clearance by the goalkeeper but was unable to control the loose ball as it ran out of play.

With less than ten minutes to the interval, Maguire came close again, as he burst clear but Cherrie pulled off a fine save at the striker’s feet. Despite having the lions share of the chances, City were unable to add a second and went in at the break with just Maguire’s goal between the sides.

Not surprisingly, Bray came flying out of the traps for the second half and Greene wasn’t far away five minutes in, as he cut inside only to fire into the side netting. They did have the ball in the net shortly afterwards from a free kick but the referee’s whistle had already sounded for a free out. While the home side were having the better of things, Maguire served notice of his intentions with a superb run on 62, evading two defenders before firing his shot against the post.

With four minutes remaining, City sealed the points through Jimmy Keohane. Maguire was again involved, and he provided the cross for Keohane to finish neatly to seal the points for City.

Referee: Robert Harvey.

Attendance: 1,879

Next Match

SSE Airtricity League
Carlisle Grounds


/ Free WordPress Plugins and WordPress Themes by Silicon Themes. Join us right now!

Recent News

Academy Round-Up – March 24th
Cork City 5-0 St. Mary’s
Condolences to the Woods family
Team news & coverage for Munster Senior Cup Final
Condolences to the Linehan family

Premier Division Table


Top Scorers (All Comps) 2018

News Archive