WNL: Peamount 2-1 CCFC

Cork City fell to a 2-1 defeat in their opening game of the FAI Women’s National League season in a tight game at Greenogue on Saturday 9th of March.

City got off to the perfect start after 21 seconds as Rachel O’Regan played in Katie McCarthy with a lovely pass and McCarthy put it away from the edge of the box low into the far corner of the net to give City a 1-0 lead. Peamount immediately tried to get back into the game forcing City keeper Maria O’Sullivan into a smart save in the sixth minute. But Peamount equalised in the 7th minute as Megan Lynch played Amber Barrett in behind the City defence and despite O’Sullivan making a good save to stop the initial shot Barrett pounced on the rebound to make it 1-1.

City looking to restore their lead came close as Katie McCarthy had a shot go just wide in the ninth minute, while at the other end Maria O’Sullivan made a good save to deny Megan Lynch in the 16th minute. Peamount took the lead in the 23rd minute as a Megan Lynch corner saw a scramble for the ball in the box which resulted in Aine O’Gorman managing to put it away to make it 2-1 to Peamount. O’Sullivan was forced to make another good save to deny Amber Barrett a second goal in the 34th minute and had to be alert in the 42nd to smother the ball to deny the oncoming Barrett and the first half finished 2-1 to Peamount.

City brought on Maggie Duncliffe for Kate O’Donovan for the second half. The second half was a quitter affair than the first half as both sides struggled to create clear cut chances and while City were looking for the equaliser they had to Peamount pressure on Maria O’Sullivan’s goal. Amber Barret after breaking through the City defence set up Megan Lynch in the 53rd minute but Eabha O’Mahony was on hand to make a crucial block on the line to stop the goal. City brought on Stacey Paul for Rachel O’Regan in the 65th minute.

City’s best chance of the second half came in the 74th minute as Katie McCarthy battled through several Peamount defenders before flashing her effort just wide of the post. Nathalie O’Brien replaced Lauren Egbulonui in the 82nd minute. The last real chance of the game came in the 88th minute as Maggie Duncliffe had a long range free which forced Naoisha McAloon into a save and the game finished 2-1 to Peamount.

Next up for City is a visit from 2018 Champions Wexford Youths to Bishopstown on Sunday 17th of March with a 1pm kick off.

Cork City FC: Maria O’Sullivan, Zara Foley, Eabha O’Mahony, Ciara McNamara, Savannah McCarthy, Emma Farmer, Kate O’Donovan (Maggie Duncliffe 45’), Danielle Burke, Rachel O’Regan (Stacey Paul 65’), Katie McCarthy, Lauren Egbulonui (Nathalie O’Brien 82’)

Recent News

City Edition – Issue 3 Preview & Purchase Details
CCFC 0-1 Athlone
Team news ahead of Athlone Town game
City Edition – Issue 2 Preview & Purchase Details
WNL: CCFC 0-3 Shelbourne

First Division Table


Sign up to our newsletter!

    Top Scorers (All Comps) 2020

    News Archive

    Online Shop Update

    Our online store is back!