Finn Harps 0-0 CCFC


Cork City came away from Ballybofey with a point after a 0-0 draw with Finn Harps. Cork remain 7th in the table while Harps sit in 9th, four points clear of UCD, who lost away to Sligo Rovers, although the Students have three games less played.

Gary Boylan went closest for the visitors from a tight angle while Harps best chance came courtesy of a curling effort from Caolon McAleer.

The opening stages of the game was the exact opposite of how the last encounter at Finn Park ended. Although a seven goal thriller is a big ask to match, the first shot of the tie didn’t come until the quarter hour. Gearoid Morrissey, who scored two beauties last time he was here, was played through by Darragh Rainsford but saw his effort blocked from close range by Dan O’Reilly.

Harps passing was sloppy at times and it resulted in the first booking of the afternoon, with Harry Ascroft catching Gary Boylan late near the halfway line.

Shortly after the 30 minute mark, Harps had a rare venture forward, Caolon McAleer running down the wing before a low cross, it had the visiting defence worried as Mark Russell prepared to strike unmarked but he fluffed his chance, kicking into the ground.

A swift counter had the hosts backtracking as Boylan hit over from a tight angle, Dan Casey also scuffed a close range chance as the sides ended the half with a booking a piece with Rainsford cautioned for a late tackle on O’Reilly.

Harps enjoyed a decent spell after the restart and came close to taking the lead on 54 minutes, after receiving a short pass outside the area from Mark Coyle, about 20 yards out, Caolon McAleer curled one at goal but it brushed just past the right hand post.

Up the other end, Rainsford had another opportunity, again inside the area but hit it high over the bar.

The lively 15 minutes after the restart quickly turned after the hour as neither side could find their rhythm. A lot of sloppy passes and touches in the final third, but neither side could capitalise.

With shy under ten minutes to go, Mark Timlin came just as close as his McAleer did earlier in the half, firing from roughly the same position, left footed but it flew over the crossbar.

A low drive from Conor McCarthy a minute late turned out to be the last concrete chance of the evening, his shot was caught well by Mark McGinley.

The match ended 0-0, the first scoreless draw at Finn Park this season, as both sides remain where they were before kick off.

Referee: John McLoughlin.

Attendance: 802.

Recent News

WPD: City View Issue 6 Available Now
Drogheda United vs Cork City: All You Need to Know!
Club Statement
WPD: City View Issue 5 Available Now
WPD Preview: City vs Wexford Youths

League Table


Sign up to our newsletter!

    Top Scorers (All Comps)

    News Archive