Upcoming MatchCork City – Dundalk/18/10/2019/Turner's Cross
Upcoming MatchCork City – Dundalk/18/10/2019/Turner's Cross

Bohemians – Cork City

Bohemians – Cork City



Date Comp Season Match Day Attendance
27/05/2019 EA Sports Cup 2019 Quarter Final 665


By Denis Hurley for EchoLive.ie

Cork City’s hopes of EA Sports Cup glory are over after they went down to Bohemians in Monday night’s quarter-final at Dalymount Park.

While a penalty save from Tadhg Ryan kept the game scoreless in the first half, Bohs led soon after and converted a second spot-kick in the second half to guarantee victory.

City had six changes from Friday’s league loss at Shamrock Rovers, with Dan Casey back from injury while Ryan was given a run-out in goal and Shane Griffin lined up on the left side of midfield.

Bohs also had a much-altered side and the opening stages were even but somewhat scrappy, with no real clear-cut chances, though City might have had an opening but Conor McCarthy’s low cross ricocheted off Darragh Rainsford’s foot and goalkeeper James Talbot – recently called up to the Ireland squad – claimed.

James Tilley had an effort wide from distance while Rainsford fired over after good link-up play from Griffin and Kevin O’Connor and then, on 25 minutes, McCarthy was unlucky not to get more on Griffin’s cross.

While City were having the better of the chances, Bohs were well in the game and on the half-hour they were given a great opportunity as they won a penalty. After Ross Tierney’s shot hit Ryan Graydon, a scramble ensued and the Gyspies attacker was deemed to have been fouled.

Sam Byrne stepped up but his low shot to Tadhg Ryan was well kept out by the goalkeeper. Unfortunately for City, a goal arrived just three minutes later. When Scott Allardice’s nice pass set Graydon away on the left, his shot came back off the post but Tierney was following up for an easy tap-in to open the scoring.

Not long after that, Graydon had another chance, Ryan saving his curling effort this time and City’s only real effort between then and half-time was a Kevin O’Connor half-volley that was relatively easy for Talbot to deal with.

City looked to push for an equaliser on the resumption, with Graham Cummins testing Talbot early on, but by and large the chances were hard to come by. At the other end, Byrne and James Finnerty had long-range efforts off-target for Bohs.

Just after the midway point in the half, a marauding run by City sub Gearóid Morrissey led to a chance for Rainsford, who was unlucky to see the ball hit the top of the crossbar and bounce clear.

Another sub, Dáire O’Connor, flashed a shot wide but Bohs nearly made it 2-0 as their sub Danny Mandroiu’s free kick took a deflection off the wall and went just wide. However, ten minutes from the end, Mandroiu was involved again and the second goal did materialise.

Set away by Byrne, he made his way into the area and Morrissey, in attempting to challenge, bundled him over. Once more, referee Robert Hennessy pointed to the spot and this time Mandroiu stepped up, sending his shot high to the left corner to make the game safe. Allardice had a late effort off the bar, but the home side didn’t need a third goal.


Cork City0L


Robert Hennessy


Dalymount Park

Sign up to our newsletter!

Recent News

#ACityRising: 2020 Season Ticket information
WNL: Limerick 2-3 Cork City
WNL Preview: Limerick v CCFC
City v UCD: All You Need to Know

Next Match

SSE Airtricity League
Turner's Cross

Premier Division Table


Top Scorers (All Comps) 2019

1Conor McCarthy4035496
2Daire O’Connor3220214
3Karl Sheppard3126364
4Gearoid Morrissey3025133
5Dan Casey3429043

News Archive