Match Reports

Bohs 3-0 CCFC

Bohs 3-0 CCFC
Report by Denis Hurley for | Photo by Peadar O'Sullivan Cork City’s winless run in all competitions extended to seven games as the Rebel Army fell to Bohemians in Friday evening’s SSE Airtricity League Premier Division clash at Dalymount Park. A pair of early goals for the hosts put them in a comfortable position in what was Colin Healy’s first game in charge and the result leaves City bottom with just four games remaining in the season. With his first team, Healy made five changes from the side that lost to St Patrick’s Athletic in what proved to be Neale Fenn’s final game in charge. Jake O’Brien, Ricardo Dinanga, Dale Holland, Cory Galvin and Cian Bargary came into the team while Alan Bennett, Kit Elliott, Cian Coleman and Dylan McGlade dropped out – the latter two not even subs – while Dáire O’Connor left the club just before Fenn did. City were playing into the heavy wide and rain as the game began and immediately found themselves under pressure from the second-placed Gypsies. Within four minutes, Andre Wright – who was the matchwinner when the sides met at Turner’s Cross in August – had an effort deflected wide and, from the resultant Anto Breslin corner, former City man Dan Casey saw his header come back off the crossbar. While City’s Bargary did test Bohs goalkeeper James Talbot with an effort from out on the left, the visitors were on the back foot for much of the opening stages and they went close again when another Breslin delivery was volleyed narrowly wide by the lively Dawson Devoy. Keith Long’s side had the lead in the 16th minute. Promise Omochere linked well with Conor Levingston on the right-hand side and then he slid a lovely pass to Wright, whose touch took him past Joseph Olowu before slotting past the onrushing Mark McNulty. Four minutes later, the lead was doubled thanks to the quick thinking of Bohs winger Danny Grant. When Levingston sent a ball from deep, Grant’s pace took him clear of the City defence and when he spotted McNulty off his line he sent a perfectly measured lob to the net. Just before the half-hour, Grant had another good chance but McNulty saved well and Olowu was able to clear the danger. Having been under pressure for so much of the game, City did go close to getting back into the contest 11 minutes before half-time as Cory Galvin did well to engineer an opportunity before unleashing a shot from the edge of the penalty area, with the ball cannoning back off the crossbar. Coming up to the break, Deshane Dalling – who was operating as a striker – went down under a challenge in the area, but referee Seán Grant ignored the City appeals for a penalty. In the opening stages of the second half, City showed more endeavour and Cian Bargary had a tame shot which was easy for Talbot while Dinanga’s long-range effort was well off-target. However, in the 53rd minute, Bohs had a third goal which ended any hopes of a City revival. Wright was the man to get it, his second of the game, rising to head home a Devoy cross. Healy introduced Seán Kennedy for his league debut while Henry Ochieng and Cian Murphy were also introduced but Bohs never looked like allowing their visitors back into the game. A low Gearóid Morrissey shot for distance, saved by Talbot, was their best opportunity of a consolation goal but at the other end McNulty had to save well to deny Bohs right-back Andy Lyons. Bohs saw things out safely to strengthen their grip on second place ahead of next week’s pivotal clash with Dundalk. Before then, though, the Lilywhites come to Turner’s Cross on Tuesday, with City’s opportunities for survival growing slimmer. Referee: Seán Grant. [event_performance 104310]

Reading next

Bohs vs City: All You Need To Know!
Freight Force unveiled as new Women's sponsor!

Leave a comment

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.