Match Reports

Match Report: Bray Wanderers 1-3 City

Match Report: Bray Wanderers 1-3 City

Cork City came away from the Carlisle Grounds with all three points on Friday night after a brilliant brace from Cian Bargary, with Cathal O’Sullivan also getting on the scoresheet.

City dismantled Bray in the first half of the game and were unlucky the margin of victory wasn’t higher. The win extends City’s league unbeaten streak to sixteen and widens the advantage at the top of the table to ten points.

City boss Tim Clancy made only a single change to his starting side after their 3–0 victory over Cobh Ramblers a week previous, as Cian Bargary stepped into the starting eleven in place of sixteen-year-old Jaden Umeh.

Bray Wanderers manager Ian Ryan also made just the single change to their starting eleven from their previous fixture, a 2–1 loss away to Athlone Town. Centre back Cole Omorehiomwan returned to Bray’s starting eleven after a lengthy stint away injured, and he replaced Jamie Duggan in the backline.

It took just forty seconds of play for the scoreboard to begin ticking, as Cian Bargary opened the scoring for Cork City in their very first attack of the game. Cathal O’Sullivan’s brilliant through-ball behind the Wanderers defence met Cian Murphy who dribbled into the box and calmly passed across the face of the goal to Bargary who tapped in from close range.

There could’ve been a second goal from City four minutes later, as goalscorer Cian Bargary’s cross from the right wing bounced through the box and fell to Barry Coffey at the back post, but he skied the ball straight over the bar in an incredible miss from only a few yards out.

It wouldn’t deter City in the end though, as City did indeed double their lead in the eighth minute. Cathal O’Sullivan took advantage of a heavy touch from Bray centre back Paul Murphy, and the seventeen-year-old robbed him of the ball and calmly slotted past the Bray keeper to score his second goal of the season.

O’Sullivan’s first goal of the season also came against Bray Wanderers, in the home fixture in March.

Bray Wanderers were afforded a very small amount of possession in the first half, as City dominated the game and managed the momentum of the fixture.

The Seagulls began to press high on the City defence to try win the ball back, and their pressing almost rewarded them with a goal after twenty-four minutes. Bray striker Cristian Măgerușan dispossessed Charlie Lyons at the back, but his first-time shot rolled wide of the posts.

City were simply too strong for Wanderers though, and Cian Bargary was on hand to give City their third goal of the game. Sean Murray flicked the ball to the feet of Bargary, who controlled the ball and finished beautifully just inside the box to score his second of the night.

The visiting City side entered the break 3–0 to the good, with solid control over the Bray Wanderers team.

Bray found momentum after the break and found their way into the game at the start of the second forty-five. Lapses in concentration allowed Bray to threaten the City defence on a number of occasions.

Bradley Wade made his first save of the night just before the hour mark, as he dived to deny Harry Groome any chance of a Bray goal.

The first City substitution of the night was made shortly after, as Greg Bolger was brought off, and Oran Crowe replaced him.

City were not the slightest bit as impressive as they were in the first half, and Bray were rewarded for their attacking efforts in the sixty-eighth minute.

Spaniard Guillermo Almirall was the scorer for the Seagulls, the unmarked substitute striking from close range after Zach Nolan’s low driven cross.

Almirall continued to be a dangerous option for Bray in attack, and almost set up a second goal five minutes from full-time with a brilliant cross for Cristian Măgerușan, who was unlucky not to get his header on target.

Jaden Umeh was introduced into the game for City in the second half, as was Niall Brookwell, replacing Cian Bargary and Barry Coffey respectively.

City held on to see out the game and bring all three points back to Leeside, with many positives taken from the fixture although City’s performances in both halves starkly contrasted with one another.

The win also means City stay unbeaten against Wanderers for the seventeenth game in a row, a streak kept alive since a 4–1 Premier Division loss in 2016.

Next up in the calendar for Cork City is an exciting clash at home to Treaty United on the 24th , with City looking to get one over the Limerick side after their previous 0–0 draw in March.

Bray Wanderers make the trip to Ferrycarrig to visit Wexford FC in their next fixture, with the game also set for the 24th.

Reading next

City View Issue 3 Available Now!
City View - Issue 4 Available Now!

Leave a comment

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.