Match Report - City 1-1 Treaty United

Match Report - City 1-1 Treaty United

Cork City played out a 1–1 draw with Treaty United as both current and former City players were on the scoresheet.

Tim Clancy made just one change to the starting eleven from his side’s 3–1 victory over Bray Wanderers last Friday, as Jaden Umeh came into the squad in place of Cathal O’Sullivan, who was absent from the match squad. Fan favourite Jack Doherty also returned to the squad for the first time since April, with the attacker named on the bench.

Treaty United manager Tommy Barrett made two changes to his eleven to face City, as Fionn Doherty and William Armshaw entered the lineup in place of the injured Yousef Mahdy, and the suspended Oisin O’Reilly.

City started the game strong and were awarded a penalty seven minutes in, as Treaty defender Thomas Considine’s attempted clearance struck his hand in the box following Cian Bargary’s cross.

Evan McLaughlin subsequently tucked the penalty into the bottom right corner to hand City an early lead.

Treaty had their first solid chance of the game just before the half hour, as a fast break resulted in Stephen Christopher’s shot zipping just right of the post and wide.

City continued to threaten the Treaty goal though, and Jaden Umeh came close from Cian Bargary’s cross, but his header only narrowly flew over the bar.

Treaty got themselves an unlikely equaliser just before half-time, as City keeper Bradley Wade did well to save Leon Kirrane’s initial shot, but former City player Alec Byrne pounced on the loose ball to tap into the net.

There was concern for City in the second half when Jaden Umeh stayed down after a bad looking challenge, and the youngster had to be stretchered off the pitch, with Josh Fitzpatrick introduced to replace him.

City ramped up the intensity majorly in the second half, and put the Treaty defence under major pressure.

Jack Doherty was introduced to the game in an effort to break down the Shannonsiders, as he replaced Cian Bargary just after the hour mark.

Evan McLaughlin also came close with a strike from outside the box, but his effort couldn’t find its target.

Treaty should’ve taken the lead with ten minutes to go, with a corner skimmed dangerously across the box falling to Christopher, but he blasted his shot over the bar.

City struggled to get any good shots on goal, with Treaty clearly more than happy with a point judging by their park-the-bus defensive style.

City academy player Harvey Skieters was brought into the game in place of Greg Bolger with the clock running down, but City weren’t able to find the winner they hoped for.

It was a disappointing result for City as they controlled the ball for the entirety of the game but couldn’t seem to find a way through the Treaty defence.

The draw at home doesn’t majorly affect the league table, as UCD failed to capitalise on City’s dropped points as they had to come from behind to draw 2–2 in Athlone.

City’s next fixture is an away journey to Athlone next Friday, before starting a run of four home games in a row in June.

Visitors Treaty will look to end their now fourteen game winless streak next Friday, as they take on Longford Town at home.

Reading next

City Edition - Issue 7 Available Now!
Match Preview: Athlone Town vs Cork City

Leave a comment

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.