Match Reports

Match Report: City 1-1 Wexford

Match Report: City 1-1 Wexford

Wexford FC held City to a 1–1 draw on Monday evening in a repeat of the scoreline seen in the reverse fixture in April.

It was City’s first game back home at Turners Cross in almost exactly a month, the last fixture being an emphatic 3–0 win over Cobh Ramblers on the 5th of April.

Tim Clancy made four changes to his City team who were victorious over Kerry in their last fixture. Darragh Crowley made his first start of the season and came into the defence in place of Harry Nevin, Niall Brookwell made his third start of the year, and wingers Cian Bargary and Nathan Wood returned to the starting eleven. Greg Bolger was unavailable for the fixture due to suspension.

Wexford boss James Keddy made four changes after his side threw away a two-goal lead to draw 2–2 with Athlone Town last time out, as defenders Darragh Levingston and Ben Lynch returned to the lineup, Carl Lennox made his first league start and Kaylem Hartnett also returned.

Wexford got the Bank Holiday game underway, but City were quick to claim the ball and settle into the game.

Inside seven minutes of play Jaden Umeh did brilliantly to win the ball from Wexford defender Carl Lennox inside the box. Umeh shrugged off his man and gave a pass inside to Barry Coffey who finished beautifully to give City the advantage.

Wexford had a chance themselves ten minutes later, as Thomas Oluwa beat his man and crossed a ball into the City area. Cian Coleman headed the ball out as far as Wexford man Kian Corbally, who’s first-time volley attempt sailed over the bar.

Wexford only narrowly avoided conceding again shortly after, Barry Coffey’s corner met the head of Cian Coleman at the back post, but the centre-back’s header across goal wasn’t met by any City player and the ball rolled wide.

Wexford proved threatening in attack, having the lion’s share of the attacking chances for the rest of the first half.

After their numerous chances, Wexford finally struck gold just before half-time. After a scramble in the box, Kaylem Hartnett’s shot found the back of the net to level the game at 1–1.

City felt they should’ve had a penalty just after the break, as a Wexford defender looked to have handled the ball inside the box as he fell over, but the referee didn’t agree. City kept pushing for a second goal, and they came close a few minutes after.

After catching Wexford on the break, Cathal O’Sullivan’s shot from outside the box only narrowly flew over the bar.

Two substitutions were made in the 58th minute, as Nathan Wood and Cian Bargary were replaced by Sean Murray and Josh Fitzpatrick.

Wexford also made use of their bench, as goal scorer Kaylem Hartnett was replaced by Mikie Rowe.

City weren’t able to trouble Wexford enough in the second half, and spent the last ten minutes chasing a late winner.

Josh Fitzpatrick made a run at the Wexford defence and won a free kick just outside the box. Cathal O’Sullivan whipped in a perfect ball into the box which Jaden Umeh was unlucky not to connect with.

City were awarded a corner in the dying seconds of the game, but Wexford defended well, and denied City any chance of a winner.

That was all from Turners Cross, as the game ended all square at 1–1. It was a disappointing result for City, who definitely should’ve converted the many chances they had in the second half.

City’s next fixture is an exciting Cork Derby against Cobh Ramblers in St. Colman’s Park, whilst Wexford are on the road again and face Treaty United. Both games are scheduled for the 10th of May at 19:45.

Reading next

Women's Weekend Preview
City View Issue 3 Available Now!

Leave a comment

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.