Match Report: City 4-1 Cobh Ramblers

Match Report: City 4-1 Cobh Ramblers

City outclassed and outplayed their Munster neighbours on Thursday night as City made it three victories from three league games over Ramblers this season.

Gary Hunt’s men were never a threat to City and were once again put on a poor showing in the Munster Derby.

Manager Tim Clancy made just one change to his City side from their victory over Longford Town previously, with striker Cian Murphy returning to the lineup in place of last week’s debutant Harvey Skieters.

Ramblers boss Gary Hunt also made just a single change to his winning side over Finn Harps last Friday, with Brendeán Frahill returning to the defence in place of Nolan Evers.

The sides exchanged end-to-end football for the opening ten minutes, until Cobh keeper Darragh Burke was called into action to save Jack Doherty’s powerful shot inside the box.

Evan McLaughlin’s subsequent cross found the head of Cian Coleman at the back post, who headed straight into the top corner with brilliant accuracy and power to hand City the lead.

In the 21st minute, Greg Bolger’s delivery from a free kick was headed but the effort could only deflect off the post and wide.

Darragh Crowley tried his luck from long range in the 30th minute, with the full-back just narrowly striking his low shot wide.

Jack Doherty almost scored a wonder goal just past the half hour as he flicked the ball up with his back to goal, with the attacker turning and striking on the volley, with his shot just agonisingly hitting the upright.

City were clinical from corners though, and it was from there where they found a second goal in the 37th minute, with Darragh Crowley pouncing on a loose ball in the box and tapping home to double City’s advantage heading into the break.

The City team took way more shots on from long range throughout the game then they would usually, as Evan McLaughlin tried his luck from distance just after half time, with his curling effort beating Cobh goalkeeper Burke but striking the crossbar.

Cian Bargary did well to get on the end of a long ball down the right flank in the 53rd minute, and he whipped a perfect cross into Jack Doherty, who headed home from close range to score City’s third.

Cian Bargary then suffered what looked to be a hamstring injury whilst blocking down the goalkeeper in the 70th minute, with the winger subbed off with Josh Fitzpatrick taking his place, after the previous introduction of Harry Nevin and Malik Dijksteel to the game.

Fans were kept entertained throughout the stoppage though, as a Turners Cross cat made an appearance on the field and darted back out through the Derrynane Stand.

Cobh struck back with fifteen minutes to go, as substitute Nolan Evers was on the mark to head home from a corner.

Josh Fitzpatrick was denied by a brilliant save from Burke soon after, as he dispossessed the Ramblers full-back and fired a finesse shot from just inside the box.

It was City who had the last laugh though, as Cian Murphy headed Malik Dijksteel’s set-up from close range to net City’s fourth and final goal, and in the process net his first goal of the season.

That was the last of the action from Turners Cross, with City victorious by a three-goal margin in all three league encounters this season.

Bradley Wade might as well have sat in the Shed for a large portion of the game, with him seeing no action in the first half and being forced to make just a single save all night, much to the credit to his defence in front of him.

The league now enters its mid-season break, but City will be back in action next on the 28th of July, as we welcome Bray Wanderers to Turners Cross.

Cobh Ramblers return to action on the same date, as they play host to UCD in Cobh.

Reading next

City Edition - Issue 10 Available Now!
City Edition - Issue 11 Available Now!

Leave a comment

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.