Match Report: Finn Harps 0-2 Cork City

Match Report: Finn Harps 0-2 Cork City

Cork City earned an impressive 2–0 victory over Finn Harps on Friday night as the long spin to Ballybofey didn’t affect the Rebel Army.

As far as teams went, Cork City made three changes to their starting eleven off the back of a big 4–1 away win over Longford Town. Cathal O’Sullivan returned to the starting lineup, as did Cian Bargary. Young attacker Josh Fitzpatrick also started, with last week’s starters Barry Coffey and Jaden Umeh on the bench. City also had Cian Murphy and Jack Doherty unavailable through injury.

Harps came into this fixture on the back of two away losses in a row, and manager Darren Murphy made three changes to their eleven. 19-year-old Sean O’Donnell started his first game of the season, Ryan Rainey replaced the injured David Cawley and Conor Tourish also missed out due to injury.

Cork City got the fixture started under the sunshine in Donegal, at an earlier kick-off time of 6pm due to the floodlight problems at Finn Park.

Harps had the first good chance of the game seven minutes in, as a free kick whipped into the box was met by Matty Makinson at the back post, but was headed wide.

Finn Harps missed a sitter 10 minutes later, as City keeper Bradley Wade dived low and could only parry a low cross inside the box, and an unmarked Patrick Ferry skyed a shot well over the bar as Wade was on the ground.

City’s Greg Bolger was the first to be handed a yellow card, as in the 35th minute he was booked for pulling the jersey of Success Edogun.

Midfielder Sean Murray gave City their best chance of the half just before the break, as his brilliant low shot from outside the box was deflected just past the post by a Harps defender.

The teams entered the break all square at 0–0, with City having a particularly difficult first half.

Cathal O’Sullivan was the second City player in the referee’s notebook, after a late challenge in the 55th minute on Success Edogun was deemed enough to deserve a yellow.

Tim Clancy made his first change of the match at the hour mark, electing to take winger Nathan Wood off for Jaden Umeh.

Cork City broke the deadlock with a beautiful goal in the 62nd minute, and it was yet another corner routine. Greg Bolger floated a deep ball to the far side of the box which was powerfully headed by Sean Murray into the top corner from 15 yards out.

Only 2 minutes later City had another great attempt at goal. Jaden Umeh chipped a pass over the Harps backline to a chasing Cian Bargary, but the winger couldn’t set himself up and his shot didn’t trouble Finn Harps keeper Tim Heimer.

Finn Harps fans thought they had a goal back in the 71st minute. Success Edogun had the beating of centre-back Cian Coleman on the turn, and his low shot rolled past Bradley Wade but bobbled just agonisingly past the post.

Just after Harps’ chance Cork City drove up the field and doubled their lead, a pass back to defender Noe Baba bobbled over the defender’s foot, and Jaden Umeh was there to pounce on the mistake and cooly slotted a finish past the Harps keeper to score his second goal of the season.

City made two more changes to see out the game, with Darragh Crowley replacing Harry Nevin at the back, and Josh Fitzpatrick was replaced by Harvey Skieters who made his Cork City league debut.

It was a comfortable win in the end for City, who were on the back foot for most of the first half but were certainly the better team in the second. This defeat made it three in a row for Finn Harps, and in contrast City extended their unbeaten streak to twelve games.

Next on the fixture list for City is a first ever trip to Mounthawk Park to face Kerry FC on May 3rd, three days before a very welcome return home to Turners Cross to face Wexford FC.

Finn Harps’ next fixture is also on the 3rd, as they stay at home and face Treaty United.

Reading next

Turner's Cross to Reopen on Wednesday 1 May
Design A Poster Competition!

Leave a comment

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.